"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Manhole Story

Most people know the manhole story.  I mean EVERYONE does when I say that.  I am not joking on this one but there have been times where I am eating dinner with the missionaries or a sibling's friend and the story will come up and the visitor will bust up laughing.  How they found out... well I just blame my mother.

Anyways, for Labor Day, my parents, sisters, and I headed out to spend the day at Long Beach so of course we had to visit the famous manhole for memory's sake.  I decided that I needed to post these pictures on my blog along with the story so here goes.

Summer of 2009 I brought my best friend, Christine home, with me after the spring semester at BYU-Idaho.  She is from Idaho and so obviously doesn't really get to go to the beach that often so we took her out to Long Beach for the day.  It was a girl's day at the beach with my mom, sisters, Christine, and I.  We hit up all the classic spots like the Astoria Column, laying out in in the beach, chasing seagulls, and walking through the town.  To get back to our car to go home, we were at the other end of town so we decided to walk along the boardwalk.  On the way there, we passes a random manhole in the middle of nowhere.  Everyone walked pasted it and with me in the back, I decided to walk on it because it looked closed.  Oh how wrong I was.  I stepped on and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground in a lot of pain with a manhole cover smashing my legs.  I luckily didn't land inside the hole but did manage to fall with my legs inside and me sitting on the edge.  I can't tell you how much that hurt!  So what do I do?  I call my loved ones for help.  What do they do?  Laugh and yell for a camera.  I just wanted to hurt them all because I am crying and stuck with sewage on me.  Finally, my dear little sister Danielle grabs the cover and helps me out.  I wasn't able to walk back to the car so Kaylynn and my mom ran back to get it (reality is that they just wanted an excuse to laugh hysterically without me becoming more mad).  Christine and Danielle tried to be nice but I just wanted to get cleaned up and go home.  After waiting on the ground for a little while, my mom shows up with the van and backs in to the spot to "make it easier for me" although they were really just making fun of me and acting like it was an emergency.  We had ibuprofen and wipes to help me out then I laid down in the back and fell asleep because I was furious at this point.  Mom and Christine were grateful for this because they spent the next 3 hours getting home laughing.  The WHOLE time!!

Well there you go world.  There's my story of falling in the manhole.  It's a classic tale that helps me win two truths and a lie every time I play.  I gone back every year since then and want to post the pictures to go with so here they are:

Year One: 2009.  Don't be fooled by my smile.  Lots of pain but I knew these would be on Facebook.

Year Two: 2010

 Year Three: 2011.  You know what I like about these pictures, it documents my hair color of the year!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Miss Lisa. You were such a good sport that day. I'm glad you didn't blow up at us even when you wanted to. This truly is a story that will live on in family lore for years to come. Lova you! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete